Monday, January 14, 2008

Malaysian Conspiracies

Just doing some promotion for a local production. I helped to take some photos at the premier last Wednesday at Pavilion, and got to watch the show. I was impressed. It's definitely better than The Golden Compass or many of the other overrated foreign flicks.

JARUM HALUS is the directorial debut of talented young Malaysian filmmaker MARK TAN. It is an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s classic play "Othello", set in modern-day Kuala Lumpur and using a mix of Malaysian English and Malay (with English subtitles).

Starring RAZIF HASHIM, CHRISTIEN NEW, DATO RAHIM RAZALI, JULIANA IBRAHIM, JUSTIN CHAN, MEGAT SHARIZAL and FARAH PUTRI.


Also starring STEPHANIE CHAI and HILMY NOR, with cameo appearances by YASMIN YUSUFF, DOUGLAS LIM, COLIN KIRTON, MONTI and LAVIN SEOW.

Performance direction by
COLIN KIRTON. Director of photography AARON CHUNG. Original music by SAN WENG ONN and RABBIT with vocals by MARIA YASMIN. Produced by ELEANOR LOW and MARK TAN.

Now showing at GSC Mid-Valley, Pavilion, 1 Utama & Gurney Plaza
Watch the trailer here.


*****

I have been asked about my thoughts on the recent Chua Soi Lek debacle. I think he deserves to be sacked for his gross lack of judgment, and I'm glad that he resigned (voluntarily?). But before we point fingers and wag tongues, we must remember that he who is without sin should cast the first stone. We all have our secret sins and skeletons in the closet. I know mine. However, sin has its penalty and someone has to pay. Admission of guilt does not absolve the sin. My hope is that more ministers would either be sacked or voluntarily resign, as they are as guilty of similar or worse sins. Not only "private" sins, but criminal breach of trust against the nation. But sometimes I wonder, is stupidity a sin?

*****

The person who was present at the recording of the Lingam tape has gone public with his revelation. Read about it in Malaysiakini. I have given up on the mainstream media to report the truth. I haven't bought any mainstream newspaper for more than two years, and I urge you to boycott them too. It's time to send the message that we the people do not condone the lies and manipulation that the BN newsletters are feeding us. If you can read this blog, then you can easily access the online versions of the media. Save your money. Or better still, subscribe to Malaysiakini.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After the Bersih debacle, I was kinda glad I'm no longer in my former line of work... cos I'd be ashamed to call myself a Malaysian journalist! Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

the obituaries are still useful ( jokes aside )

***

http://harismibrahim.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/who-are-you/

Birdseye Says:
January 8, 2008 at 2:26 pm
BobSam says: But let me tell you one of the main reasons the Indian / Tamil community purchase either the NST or the Star is becoz of the obituaries.
Sounds morbid but true.
Chinese, and Malays too I suppose, also have a habit of scanning the obituaries first thing in the morning. However this habit tends to ‘infect’ those who are in their late 50s and beyond.

http://wordpress.com/tag/boycott-the-newspapers/

Anonymous said...

1.
”he who is without sin should cast the first stone” didn’t chuasoilek himself say that? Shouldn’t it be other people who say this on behalf of the person who committed the sin, and not the person himself? Smacks of arrogance, defiance and complete lack of remorse

2.
stupidity is not a sin – but one’s stupidity does not absolve one from one’s sins. Just because someone is stupid, doesn’t make his greed, dishonesty etc, any less sinful. In the same vein, incompetence per se is not a sin. But what about cowardice - is this one a sin?

HL said...

I still believe there's hope, coz God is ultimately in control. I'm just figuring out my role here as an agent of the Most High. What exactly are we to do? Pray? Talk? Kepimpinan melalui teladan?