Saturday, December 22, 2007

Creative Lighting

I recently figured out how to use the flash commander mode on my Nikon D80. This is a cool feature which allows the camera to control an off-camera flash wirelessly. Nikon calls this the Creative Lighting System. It opens up new possibilities for flash photography, as the flash does not have to be attached to the camera. I can fire or bounce the flash from the side or from behind the subject.

I first saw sifu Bernard do magic with his Canon fitted with a wireless flash commander. I'm not too sure, but I think the difference between Canon and Nikon is that Nikon has the commander built-in to the camera while the Canon requires an external commander to be attached to the flash hotshoe. And the Nikon commanders can control up to three sets of flashguns. Very cool.

Here's my initial attempts at using the remote flash...






No comments: